This document has been created with the help and advice of Thom Dibdin who reviews performances created and staged in Edinburgh. You can find out more about him and see examples of his work at All Edinburgh Theatre.
After identifying who you would like to review you it is really helpful to have a clear press release providing all of the important information.
Here are some suggestions:
- It needs to be easy to read.
- It shouldn’t be too long but make sure there is enough detail. Page 1 should have approx. 250 words with all the important information and image. You can put any additional copy or info on page 2.
- Photos – preferably production shots (800 x 470 pixels) that tell the story of the play.
- Copy everything into the main body of an email, as reviewers may want to check things on their phone so attachments aren’t always
useful. PDFs are particularly difficult.
- Who’s in it – make sure that all the names are included and check spelling.
- Include names for supporting people technical, front of house etc. Make sure that everyone gets recognition.